Monday, October 12, 2009

Feature: Heather Ann Schmidt Day 2



artwork © Heather Ann Schmidt


Bat's Love Song to the Moon

As you kissed me goodnight,
bats left their houses
and flew toward the moon

and their breeze came down:
whirring,
two blades of grass bending toward one another.

© Heather Ann Schmidt

**** **** **** ****

Q&A


1. If you could invite any 5 persons, living or dead, to a dinner party, who would they be, and why?

I would invite His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, Lou Henry Hoover, John Lennon, Bono, and Jack Kerouac. There are two reasons. First, I think it would be fascinating to see the interplay between them. Last, I have such admiration for the bravery and stance for peace that the Dalai Lama, Lou Hoover, John Lennon and Bono have displayed in their lives. As for Jack Kerouac...I just love his philosophy about writing and think he would liven up everything.

2. What poem or poet piqued your initial interest in haiku?

I heard an interview with poet and professor, Lucien Stryk and immediately fell in love with the idea of Zen poetry. Stryk has a lovely translation of Basho's haiku called On Love and Barley that everyone should read!

Here is the interview:

http://www.poetrypoetry.com/Features/LucienStryk/LucienStryk.html

4 comments:

  1. a "heh" escaped me, I don't know why. so simple. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice.. am also enjoying the interview questions.

    Chris Brooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece! Very original evocative and deep.

    ReplyDelete