Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Feature: Cheryl & Janet Snell Day 4



head on stem © Janet Snell


**** **** **** ****

Janet's Day 4 Q&A


Q:
What advice would you give a beginning artist/painter?

A:
Take a page from Gorky’s book, and copy the old masters until you find your own voice.

Q:
Tell us something not many people may know about you.

A:
I play violin and when I was young I jammed with a friend who later drummed for the band Devo, another who played keyboards for the Waitresses, and a studio musician for Tom Waits. My brush with fame!

Q:
How has painting changed your life?

A:
It IS my life.

Q:
If you could be any artist past or present, who would you be and why?

A:
Munch. What I’ve drawn of psychology and depth from his work I’d like for my own.

Q:
What is your favorite color and why?

A:
I like them all.

2 comments:

  1. I had a four-paragraph comment typed in, then noticed I wasn't logged in at my blog for an id. Long story less: I lost it all.

    It was all about how the body has become dissociated from brain, with the stem representing an atrophied, withered connection. How we're left lost and dark-dreaming in our head space. How we need, as the mystics would say, to get back into the body-brain -- breathing exercises, movements. That's the kind of stuff I wrote and lost.

    Then I was saying something about how the canvas space seems righteously apportioned for the various forms. With the face being asymmetrically centered in a pleasing manner. With the stem grounding the face appropriately. And chiaroscuro handled with flair and effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad my meaning came through, and I'm gladder still that you liked this, Tim.

    ReplyDelete